- Pocket Temp - Food grade stainless steel digital probe thermometer
- Waterproof - and has probe safety cover Loads of features!
- Temperature range from: -50degC up to +300degC.
A food thermometer helps you make sure all potentially harmful bacteria have been destroyed through proper cooking and shows you the exact temperature inside the food so you can be sure it’s cooked all the way through.
- Different meats require different cooking temperatures to destroy harmful bacteria.
- For example, a steak need only be seared on the outside and can be rare inside, while minced meat must be carefully cooked to destroy bacteria. That’s because minced meat has far greater surface area than steak and the inside has been exposed to the atmosphere, and is therefore at greater risk of bacterial contamination.
- One way is to simply cook minced meat, sausages and poultry right through to the centre. No pink should be visible and juices should run clear.
- Using this method should ensure your meat and poultry is free from harmful bacteria, although what constitutes "pink" and "clear running juices" might differ from person to person, and colour is not always a reliable indicator. It’s a good idea to invest in a food thermometer and use it.
Simply insert the probe portion of the thermometer into the cooked/cooking meat and note the temperature on the dial.
Different foods require different cooking temperatures to destroy bacteria, which is why a thermometer is such a handy addition to the kitchen. It is important you don't put the thermometer into the oven with cooking meat unless the manufacturer states this is acceptable.
Where to place the meat thermometer:
- Poultry - insert the thermometer into the inner thigh area near the breast of the chicken or turkey, but not touching bone
- Minced Meats and Poultry - the thermometer should also be placed in the thickest area of meat or poultry dishes like meatloaf
- Beef, Pork, Lamb, Veal, Ham - roasts, steaks or chops – insert the thermometer into the centre of the thickest part, away from bone, fat and gristle
- Casseroles and Egg dishes - the thermometer should be inserted into the thickest portion.
We deliver every week between Friday midnight and Saturday 7am. The minimum amount for home delivery is $79 + $20 delivery.
Answers to our most commonly asked questions are available on the delivery page.
- Where does The Free Range Butcher deliver to?
- Is there a minimum order amount?
- Is there a shipping fee for home delivery?
- How do I pay for a home delivery order?
- Can I request a specific delivery time?
- When are orders delivered?
- How will my goods be packaged for delivery?
- How long will the products keep for?
- What if the goods that I want aren't listed on your website?